Monday, June 4, 2018

A Little Green Witch




I'm starting to show the steps I used in the making of the art quilt shown to the right. The little green witch is the centerpiece of it, so I'll begin with her.













I had this photo of a little girl dressed up for Halloween as a green witch.  She's got a scary expression, a broom to fly on, and of course a pumpkin for her candy. 




My first step was to trace the outlines of the major features and key lines on a piece of paper.


You see that here, with some preliminary design ideas. I used the line drawing to enlarge the design to full size. The full size enlargement became my pattern for the face, hat, dress, broom, etc. 










I traced the outline of the parts on fabric and then cut the fabric pieces out. The fabric pieces were all painted to give them a three dimensional appearance. 

For the face and hands I traced the outline on to white cotton fabric and painted the skin tones. The skin tones were green this time, a first for me! Below you see the face painting in progress:


These are the Tsukeniko inks I used to create the green skin color:

















The hair was also painted. I used Tsukeniko inks and Derwent Inktense pencils for the hair color. I made her hair color a little lighter than in the photograph so that it would be more visible against the black hat. 


In my next post I'll talk about the hat and dress. Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment