Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Bunch of Gourds and a Cat for Good Measure

That title sounds like the name of a children's book to me. But it's not! It is the topic for today's post. I'm going to show you the details of some of the features on this art quilt:



I have shown the witch previously.  After I made the witch I realized I still had a lot of real estate to fill in on this piece, since it had to be square in shape and 35" x 35".  So I looked at some pictures of witch's rooms on line and got some ideas.


My original design included pumpkins surrounding the witch, so I started there. I made a lot of gourds and pumpkins from various fabrics, including lace. I wanted to have a variety of shapes and colors.  Each of the gourds was shaded and highlighted as necessary. Here are some photos of this work in progress:




 I cut out several of the same shape from different fabrics. I stacked the fabrics and then cut the shapes out from the stacked fabric. The tough part was figuring out the placement for the gourds. Here are some trial placements:









After a while it just gets confusing!

Moving on to the black cat about to cross our path....I started with a sketch of the cat I wanted to put in the piece.







From there it was just a matter of making the cat from black fabric and doing some highlighting. I used a bit of green in the highlight paint.











In my next post I'll show the table. Thanks for visiting my blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment