Monday, December 5, 2016

Flamingo - Flamango will be in Road to California!

This is an art quilt I recently completed and it was accepted in the Road to California 2017 show! Yippee!!!! I have another art quilt that will be in a Special Exhibit ("Put A Bird On It!") from Beyond the Edge Fiber Artists, but this quilt will be in the contest area. 

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Diva In The Making - Finished!

I'm going to finish up this project with this post. I have other projects I want to move on to on this blog. I am calling this "Diva in the Making". You can see here that I added butterflies and a shadow under her feet. I have added some detailed shots below that show a couple more features in close up. 


It was a fun project! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Friday, November 11, 2016

And now for the jeans...

This little cutie has on some hippie style jeans - decorations on the side seam and lower edge, and a cute tied belt. I have some blue jean fabric that has flowers in the design and thought it would be perfect for those jeans. Here you see it with my first idea for a tied belt.

I love the fabric for these jeans, and the pink belt would have been cute, but I already knew the background color I was going to use was a brown, and I wanted something that would work with brown better. So I ended up using this blue fabric. This started as a white fabric that had brown embroidery in it. I used textile paints and made it blue. It's been in my stash for quite some time waiting for the right art quilt to come along.

I wanted the creases on the jeans to be visible, so I used a white Inktense pencil to make them stand out more.

Here's what it looks like all put together:

I'll talk about the background in my next posts. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Diva's Top

This is the photo that is my inspiration for this piece. I wanted to make the top and jeans very similar to that shown in the photo. For the top, I used a polka dot white on white fabric, shown here:

top fabric
I placed the fabric over my full size drawing, on top of a light table, and traced the outline of the top on the fabric.  I also drew in the lines made by creases and wrinkles in the top. My next step was painting the shadows on the top using ink and aloe vera gel. This is what it looked like when I was finished:

painted top
I used blue for my shadows because it coordinated well with the blue jeans and sunglasses. 
The top fabric was a bit see through and I did not want to be able to see the background fabric through it, so I lined it with a tan solid cotton fabric. It worked as a perfect lining for this fabric.

My next post will be about the blue jeans. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

How I Make Fleshtone

Linda Friedman has asked what inks I used to make the flesh tones on my Diva piece, so I'm going to address that in this post. The first thing I need to say is the inks I list below are for Caucasian skin. I am in the process of making a series of art quilts depicting people doing something that to me says "attitude". When I paint someone with other skin tones I will state in this blog what inks I have used to get that skin tone. But, here are the Tsukeniko inks I used for the Diva piece:

Skin tones not in shadow:
95 - Tuscan Beige
92 - Red Delicious
53 - Autumn Leaf

I mixed these three colors together in differing ratios until I get the shade I am after.  As usual, I mix the inks with aloe vera gel. I create lights, mediums and darks (redder tones) from these three and apply them based on the appearance that I am trying to achieve. They give me a yellow to red color, depending on the amount of each ink. I use the photo of the person as my guide to help me decide what color to paint an area.

The colors listed above are good for the skin that is not in shadow. I will paint the entire body part with the shade I create from the three colors, and then I mix together a "shade" color.

The colors that are used to make "shaded flesh tones" are those listed above plus:

19 - Cerulean Blue
62 - Midnight

These are mixed with the flesh tones at times, and at other times I will use the Cerulean on top of the skin tone colors after they have dried. .

If I was trying to create an olive skin tone I would probably use a green instead of a blue for my shadow color.

I hope this is not too confusing, but I make various shades of a yellow/red tone and add blues to make them darker for the shadow areas. Feel free to ask another question if you have one. I'll do my best to answer your question.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Hands, Arms and Feet

Just as I showed in my last post, I painted the hands, arms and feet on white fabric using Tsukeniko inks and Aloe Vera gel.

Here you see them close to finished.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Face of a Diva!

I mentioned in my last post that I use my enlarged drawing as a pattern template. Here you see the enlarged drawing on my light pad, with white fabric laid over it. I traced the outlines of the head, arms and feet on the white fabric so that I could paint them.

Here is the face painting in progress. I used Tsukeniko paints with Aloe Vera gel to do the painting on the fabric. The gel gives me a lot of control over the flow of the paints. they can still bleed with the gel, and sometimes I have to use a hair dryer to dry an area quickly to prevent it from flowing into the adjacent location. But the gel makes the painting technique like using oil paints, but still gives the look of a watercolor.

Here is the face a little further along:

I still need to add some dark shading to the top of the head and a little more shadow on the face near the left side of the nose, but you can get the idea. I think her lips need a little more pink color too, hmm....

Thanks for visiting my blog!