Thursday, July 3, 2014

Oasis and Waterfall in Palm Canyon

Another chapter in the on-going story of the making of the Palm Canyon quilt...Today's installment - The Oasis and Waterfall:


This quilt depicts some major landmarks of the Palm and Indian Canyon areas. This is a desert area, so finding an oasis and waterfall while traversing this canyon is an unexpected treat. The oasis and waterfall are both shown in the photos below.

Oasis

Top of Waterfall

Bottom of waterfall
These features were made the same way as the hills, ie: freezer paper templates on fabric, temporarily held down with adhesive of some sort, then stitched. The waterfall area has rocks and water. The water was done in layers using different sheer fabrics. I used a lot of different pieces to get the look I wanted around the waterfall. The number of pieces used  is shown in the next photo.

Falls Area - I'm using my window as a light table in this photo, which explains the background.


The palm trees were made using several different layers of palm leaves. I put darker palm leaves in the back and lighter values on top of those. I used ocher colored fabric for the dead palm fronds that hang along the trunk. I stacked fabric and cut several palm leaves at the same time. These photos give you an idea of how I did that.




The palm trunks were made using a variegated fabric that I show below. These were highly detailed areas that took some time, but I’m very happy with the way they turned out. Sometimes it’s worth the extra time to get it right.



Next post – Foreground and  trailhead area.
Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment