Sunday, June 22, 2014

Making the Hills More interesting

I didn't want the hills to look flat and boring so I used a combination of techniques for added interest. In many instances it was just a matter of selecting the right fabrics. There are wonderful batiks or prints in cotton that I used for a lot of the hills. The batiks have irregular shapes and colors that add a lot. 


I also used upholstery fabrics because of their texture, and silk to add some sheen.  

Upholstery fabric hill

Silk fabric hill
Another technique I used was to add some tulle shading to them. In the upholstery fabric photo above you can see the shading on some of the hills. 

I also used tulle to create a lighted top to these jutting rock shapes.



Some hills I created by stitching shapes to the hill fabric. Here you can see two hills with fabric that I have stitched on: 1) the purple-ish fabric shapes stitched to the orange silk fabric and 2) a large number of fabrics were stitched to the batik hill to depict striations in the hillside. 


If variety is the spice of life, then these are some spicy hillsides!

My next post will be on the Palms and Oasis area. Thanks for visiting my blog!

1 comment:

  1. Eileen, your use of fabric and color to optimize depth and interest is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete