Thursday, January 4, 2018



This is a partially finished city scape that uses men's ties for the buildings. I have cut the ties in various sizes to make the buildings. I am using three different ties in this piece. I also am using solid blue and black commercial fabric for the building shadows and the top of one of the buildings.

The tie pieces are placed on a hand dyed men's handkerchief. The dye color is a light blue. I have placed the handkerchief on a commercial striped fabric. There is a piece of batting and backing fabric under the striped fabric.

I cut the tie sections and arrange them in a way that looks interesting. I use a bit of glue to hold them in place, and then begin sewing them down. I sew them with my sewing machine using a buttonhole, zig zag or decorative stitch. The stitching goes around each of the shapes. This stitching is done through the tie, handkerchief, striped fabric, batting and backing fabric. Here is a picture of the back with some of the stitching visible:



It's not particularly neat looking. I intend to use these as pillows, so the back will be inside the pillow and won't be visible. My next step is embroidery work on the buildings. Thanks for visiting my blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment