Sunday, January 14, 2018

Embroidered Building Facades

Red and Blue City Scape

This is a city scape made primarily with men's ties.  I have stitched the ties down to the background, and my next step was to add some embroidery stitching to the red building fronts. The red tie fabric looked a little too plain, in my opinion, so I wanted to add something to jazz up the front of these buildings a bit.

I am not a master embroiderer, so I rely on the simple stitches that I know well. I don't even know





their official names, but I use a cross-stitch, a buttonhole stitch and a straight stitch. The stitching was done with embroidery floss.  I've shown a couple of detail photos here, above and below.
















The embroidery stitches stand up on the surface of the tie. I have also done some machine quilting stitching on the ties themselves to enhance the appearance of the top. This machine quilting often goes around the areas where I've embroidered and makes that location stand out more. In other instances it secures the ties to the backing fabric and batting so they don't look like they are puffing out too much.  Decorative stitches built in to my machine have also been used on a couple of buildings as well.  It's on to the background next...






Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment