I'm going to use today's post to talk about some of the fabric I chose for this art quilt, and how I modified it. A big part of the charm of this little girl and her pose is the confidence she has in her look, as contrasted by the odd combination of clothing and accessories. I wanted to capture that as much as possible in my fabric choices.
The fabric shown here, a blue, 1930's reproduction print, was what I chose for the top. I could not find a stripe that looked close enough to what she is wearing, so I settled on this. It is still good because the combination of a flower print and a stripe skirt is still pushing it, from a fashion perspective.
I laid this fabric over the enlarged line drawing and pencil traced the top outline. I also drew in the major shadow lines that are caused by the folds in the top. If you look at the photo above you can see that the light comes from the left side, and a shadow is created on the right side of the top. I put a dashed line where this shadow begins in the front of the top. This served as a guild for me to know where to start tapering the shading.
This is what the top looks like after I did my shadow painting:
This fabric was in my stash and it seemed perfect for the skirt. It is a striated hand dyed fabric. For the skirt, I folded the fabric to mimic the folded nature of the skirt in the photo. I did a rough cut of the outline of the skirt after folding. I then painted shaded areas on the skirt. Here is the skirt after painting:
Once again, my fabric stash came in handy. I found this fabric for the leggings. It is similar to the floral leggings she is wearing.
I placed the fabric over the enlarged drawing, traced the legs and cut out the pieces. Then once again the shading was painted in. Here are painted legs:
And there you go - That's one dynamite outfit!
The slippers deserve a post unto themselves, so I'll do that one next. Thanks for visiting my blog!