Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Flamingo Textile Art Piece

Years ago I did a painting of flamingos based on a photo I took at a zoo. I used this painting to make a print on fabric through Spoonflower.  The print was the basis for another fiber art piece that is several years old now.

The printed fabric order came with more than one of the flamingo images. I only used one for the original fiber art piece, and I have saved the second one for a long time, waiting to figure out what to do with it.

Flamingo Watercolor Painting
 

A couple of years ago I took a thread painting class from Pam Holland and I was very happy with the technique I learned from her ... and now I have an idea for what to do with the second print of the flamingos!

The thread painting technique requires you to do an under-painting of the image so that the background is the color of the thread. This gives you the correct color even if your thread painting coverage isn't complete. So, I could use the printed image on the fabric as my "under-painting", and stitch on top of it.

That is going to be my next project that I'm showing here. Thanks for visiting my blog!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful that you are able to incorporate your painting artistry into the quilt you are creating. It's sure to be outstanding.

    ReplyDelete