Sunday, September 6, 2015

Tips for Using Exotic Fabrics


As I said in my last post, using "non-cotton" fabric can add a lot of interest to an art quilt. I have learned a few tricks for using these fabrics and I'm going to pass on a few here:


  • Organza fraying - the best way to stop the fraying is to "melt" the edge of the organza just a tiny bit. I light a votive candle and hold the fabric about 1/4" from it for just a moment. The edge is sealed by that heat, but is not burned. You need to practice this to figure out how close to hold it and for how long.

  • Flimsy fabric that is not sheer - I back this fabric with either a fusible or fusible interfacing. If I use interfacing I make it light weight. It adds just enough body without making it stiff.

  • Fraying on fabric other than a sheer - You can finish the edge in some way to address this. If that is not what you want to do, then I recommend a combination of fusing the back and using Fray Block. I also don't stitch too close to the edge of the fabric if it is not tightly woven.


    Those three techniques go a long way with more exotic fabrics. I hope you give them a try.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving your followers some great tips on how to avoid fraying of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete