Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Urban Graffiti!

I belong to Quilts on the Wall, and they are having a call for a juried exhibit entitled “Urban Graffiti”. Truth be told, I am not a fan of graffiti. It’s always been defacement of public property to me. I wasn’t sure I wanted to try to enter a piece in this exhibit or not. I decided I would only do it if I came up with an idea that really inspired me and allowed me to get past my graffiti "issue".

Alexandra Sloan is a photographic artist and she is a very good friend of mine. A few years ago she took her son and some of his classmates on a field trip to Washington D.C. to see the Capitol. The kids were probably 13 or 14 at the time. While there she had several of them pose as “tough guys” against a cinder block wall with candy cigarettes, and she shot a few photos of them. She sent me one of these on a greeting card and I always remembered it and loved the subtle humor it conveyed.
I got her permission to use these photos as a basis for a fiber art piece for this exhibit. Here are the photos she sent me:

photograph by Alexandra Sloan

photograph by Alexandra Sloan


I decided to use the photo of the five kids instead of the nine kids. Each kid is larger and I liked the simpler feel of it.
.

So I guess I’m going to try to get a piece in this exhibit. Hopefully I can get it done before the mid-July deadline! I’ll show you the steps of my progress in future posts. Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment