My last post showed the finished "Miami Blues" piece I recently completed, which is 24" x 36". This quilt was built around a 95% completed 12" x 12" mini city scape. About a year or more ago Deborah Stanley gave me a hand dyed piece of home decor fabric that had a lot of interesting shapes on it. Deborah had laid it on some metal work and then painted it. The intricate shapes in the metal work showed up very subtly in the fabric after drying. I loved the look of the swirls and semi-organic forms and wanted to emphasize them by quilting around them. The photo below shows a detail of the quilting and the shapes in this fabric.
I have been working on a series of city scapes and decided to use this fabric as the sky for a small city scape. I had a photo of the Miami sky line from a trip I made there and used that as my basis for building placement and shape. I wanted to keep the buildings relatively low so I didn't cover up the sky. I stitched the buildings down and then quilted around the swirls. The fabrics used for the buildings include cotton, velveteens and organza's. The center of the photo below shows the initial city scape that I made.
I added some embroidery stitches to the buildings to make it more interesting to look at and these photos show some of those details. You can also see the sky stitching in the top photo.
After completing the embroidery work I put it in my box of UFO's, edges unfinished. I guess I was waiting for a better idea to come along. My next post will describe the next steps I took - the reflection area.
Thanks for visiting my blog!