Sunday, May 5, 2013

Soul Food City - Serendipity Exchange

Soul Food City finished front
 
One of my favorite art quilt subjects are city-scapes, so I based my "feed the soul" themed piece on a location known for its soul food, New Orleans. I drew the city sky line, with some liberties taken, on a piece of purple fabric. The outlines of the buildings were machine stitched. I shaded the shadow side of the buildings with Inktense pencils.
 
The purple strip was placed on a mottled background fabric. I wanted to use colors that evoke the feeling of a city known for Mardi Gras.
 
I outlined some of the mottled shapes with thread painting to depict the puffy vaporous clouds that hang over the city.
 
Reflections of the buildings are shown in the water with thread painting as well. I liked the look of some of the raw edge threads hanging down so I left them there, using glue to help them stay in place. Some beads were also sewn along this thread line since this is a town known for beads at Mardi Gras. The edge was finished with couched yarn.
 
Some photos showing these details are below. I was shooting for a postcard kind of feel with the center section.

thread painting and threads hanging
You can see the beads above the threads in this photo.

clouds and yarn edging
Here is the puffy, vapor filled cloud shape, with echo quilting around it.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment