Saturday, November 4, 2017

An Abstract Wall Hanging - "Watershed Moment"

I nearly always do representational work, but on a rare occasion I complete something abstract. This piece is an abstract interpretation of an aerial view of  a water drainage system.  I hand painted the fabric a few years ago and liked the design. I didn't want to cut it up, but I also didn't know what to do with it.  Finally I stared at it enough that I realized it reminded me of the aerial photographs of water drainage through mountains that I used to look at when I worked as an environmental professional.



I enhanced the design with oil paint sticks, and added beads to represent boulders.


I think this is my favorite detail:




It's good to break away from your comfort zone and try something new. Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment