Monday, May 16, 2016

A couple more thoughts on beading....



I thought I would show my beading box. You see it below. It is a MacBook Air box.



The top of the box is lined with a black foam material, which makes a nice backdrop for beading, and it prevents things from sliding all over. It also contains the beads that inevitably escape the hoop (more about this below). I use the entire box to store a beading project, but when I am sewing beads on, I transfer what I need to the lid and away I go.

The embroidery hoop has a batting like fabric stretched on it and it sits in the lid as you see here. The beads I am working with are put in the hoop. The triangular metal plate is used to scoop and move the beads around.

I use beading thread that blends with either the bead or the background fabric. I choose the color that I think is least likely to be seen. The plastic baggies hold the large volume of beads that I am using. I scoop a few out at a time and put them in the hoop.

I also have scissors to cut the thread, a needle threader, a thimble to push the needle through the fabric, and tweezers. I use the tweezers to remove threads if I change my mind about how I have sewn on beads. The needle I use can't be seen here, but I like a long, straw needle for beading. Longer needles are easier to hold on to. I have chronic tendonitis in my wrist and it is easier on the wrist to hold on to a longer needle.

I can sit with this on my lap, watch TV with the hubby, and stitch beads on to my hearts delight. I transfer all these contents to the box bottom when I'm done, and put the lid on. It's a nice system for me.

Thanks for visiting my blog!






1 comment:

  1. This is a very informative post. It goes to show that one doesn't need to spend a lot of money to come up with a perfect way to keep beads under control. Thanks for posting this DIY.

    ReplyDelete