This machine needs to be covered in two directions: One direction is the harp to the needle end, and the other is the back of the machine where the thread spools stand. They align perpendicular to each other, so instead of doing something in one piece, I decided to make two separate covers for each of these sections.
I had an "I Spy" quilt in the closet, not being used for anything at all, and cut it in two pieces to go over these two machine sections. I used my serger to sew the edges together and finish cut edges. The front cover is the lower section shown in the photo below.
|HQ Sweet Sixteen Cover|
It is open on two sides and sewn closed on two sides. I put a magnet in the open corner to help hold the cover in place. The corner with the magnet is the one where the edge angles up. You can see in the photo below how I folded the edges up to secure the magnets and fit better over the machine.
The back cover is the upper one in the photo above. It is closed on three sides and open on one side. I cut a square shape out of the bottom to allow it to go over the end of the machine better.
It was a fast project and I've been happy with it since I made it.
Don't be afraid to cut up a quilt that isn't being used and re-purpose it. They are much more happy being out in the world than locked up in a stuffy old closet!
Thanks for visiting my blog!