Sunday, August 3, 2014

My Favorite Quilting Tool - Handi-Quilter HQ Sweet Sixteen

Today’s post is dedicated to my favorite art quilting tool – my HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down machine. This is it:




I have had this machine about 3 or 4 years now and it has greatly improved the quality of my machine quilting. I used to be very stressed out when I did machine quilting, but not any more. The whole experience improved for me. I guess I should not credit the machine for improving my machine quilting, but instead say that it allows me to more closely create on fabric what I have in my head! 

The machine has a large harp, which allows me to move the bulk of the quilt around and still smoothly move the quilt under the needle. I also love the foot pedal speed adjustments. They prevent you from going faster than the set speed no matter how hard you push on the pedal. You still can adjust the speed, but its an upper limit. 

This machine only does free motion quilting. It was expensive ($5K) and I realize that not everyone wants to spend that kind of money for a machine that only does free motion quilting. I found a deal where I could buy it on credit with no interest at an affordable monthly pay rate.  My husband said, "I don't want you to be the kind of wife that only after her husband dies, goes out and gets the things she really wants. So get it now." I love him for that!  For me it was well worth the money, and I have never regretted the purchase. 


I have seen many people do beautiful machine quilting on a standard sewing machine, so there is no doubt that it can be done. But for me, this machine made a huge difference and I unabashedly admit that I love it. J 

And no, I am not being paid for this post by Handi-quilter! Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment