Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cup Runneth All Over...Getting Ready to Paint!

When painting images on fabric I like to use a  background fabric that is lighter in value but  has some variation in color that I can use as part of the painted image. I hope you know what I mean by that, so here is an example. I knew I wanted my doves to be done in tans for the lighter areas and purple mauves for the dark values. I looked for a background fabric in my stash that would work with that. I found this piece shown below.



I painted this piece last year in my backyard using watered down acrylic paints. I was trying to get a "rusted" look without acutally doing the rusting process. I didn't completely achieve that but I liked the result anyway.

I had my drawing on paper, so I just placed the background fabric over the drawing on a light table, and traced the outlines of the image on the fabric. I took some time to figure out the best placement for the image relative to the colorations in the fabric. I used Frixion pens for the tracing since I knew they could be removed with an iron. Here you can see one bird and the cup.




My next step is to select the ink colors I wanted to use for the birds. These are Tsukineko Inks. I chose dark blues, violets, reddish browns, tans and peach colors.



Below  I also show my ink painting palette, brushes that I used and medium.



1 comment:

  1. Your description of how you used a previously painted swath of fabric was very interesting. What a great choice it was to suggest the velvety quality of the real birds. Thank you, also, for mentioning the kind of pen you used to trace the images onto the fabric.

    ReplyDelete