Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Slice of the OC - Saddleback Mountain


 
 
 
No Orange County scene can be complete without the Saddleback Mountain range in the background. At least that's what I think! I wanted to add the mountain range in a subtle way, so I decided to use tulle. I chose a tulle color of blue that matched the palette and then doubled it because the single layer of tulle didn't have enough color intensity.
 



Skyline
The first step is to draw in the mountain range line on the sky fabric. I drew it in and then stitched on that line. Next I laid the double layer of tulle over the area that I wanted the mountains to be.  It was pinned in place to prevent it from moving, which tulle likes to do. Then I stitched around the building tops at the sky line, and then stitched on the mountain line. Lastly I trimmed the excess tulle above and below the stitching lines. And there it is, instant mountain range! I love the color of the sky fabric that you can see through the tulle. It gives it a variable appearance like you would expect from mountains.

 

Mountain
 

 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment