Anthem quilt post number 4??? I am getting a lot of mileage out of this one!!
When I started envisioning this piece the feature that stood out in my mind were the sails on the ships. That was why I put the ships in the foreground, so the sails would be larger and more striking. I made the sails out of a silk fabric I was given by a friend (thanks Sally!).
It's a little hard to see it here, but the sails are three dimensional. I sewed 2 rectangular pieces of fabric together on three sides, and turned them inside out to make small pillow shapes. I then hand stitched the opening closed.
When I first put them on the quilt top they looked too stark and flat, so I added some shadowing to them with a variety of different oil paint stick colors.
They are only sewn on at the corners of the sails. I used a bead on each corner to add a little additional close up "interest".