Saturday, February 18, 2017

Skin tone, and hair for Roy

  This piece required painting skin tone for the face and arm/hand. I painted the face, head, beard and glasses on the same single fabric piece. The arm, hand and cigar were done on a separate piece.

My preferred colors for Caucasian skin tones are yellows, browns and pink/red tones. The shadow areas are created with blues or blues mixed with reds.

Here are some in progress photos:

    Arm and hand...











and here is the face and neck.



In progress stages often aren't pretty. You just have to have faith and keep going, knowing once you get the value contrast in it will look better. Practice, practice, practice.

  This photo shows my painting palette while I was doing these pieces.


  Here is a practice piece for the glasses. I thought the reflection and eye shadows would be a little tricky, so I did a test painting first.


    The hair and beard can be seen here.  A lot of white, gray, silver and blue were used to get the look of the hair and beard.

Thanks for visiting my blog!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the stages of this work as it developed. You "nailed it"!

    ReplyDelete