Monday, January 23, 2017

"Tough Old Bird"


"Tough Old Bird", Eileen Wintemute


This is my piece entitled "Tough Old Bird".  It was just shown at the 2017 Road to California Quilters Showcase, and it will be shown at other venues this next year. It is based on a photograph of Roy, a friend of mine.













This is the picture of Roy I based it on:



I took this photo at a July 4th gathering at a friends house, and I always thought it was interesting to look at. There is something about capturing people in normal conversation that looks so natural to me. Roy has a lot of things going on that give it character, like the hat, the beard and the cigar.

I am proud to be a member of Beyond the Edge Fiber Artists, and we decided to create an exhibit entitled "Put A Bird On It!".  We were encouraged to take a liberal view of this title, so I decided to create a piece based on my photo of Roy. After all, "tough old bird" is a form of a bird, is it not?

I am very happy with the way it turned out. It is going to be Roy's once it is done being shown by me. In my next few posts I'll show the steps used to create it.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic work, Eileen. You not only captured the essence of your friend, Roy, but you also capturedi a universal quality of "humanness".

    ReplyDelete